Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I walk home from the GO Train most nights. I see drivers do some pretty stupid things. I've been struck --- twice -- by a car. But that's another blog post.

Tonight, I saw a bus driver do what many car drivers do.

At approximately 6:42 p.m., Bus #8006 was making its first turn off Westney Road. There were pedestrians crossing the street. Their light was green. The bus began its turn and had to stop, blocking southbound traffic, and wait for the pedestrians--a cyclist and two pedestrians, to be specific.

As a bus driver, someone whose job is to shuttle pedestrians around, wouldn't you be more aware of pedestrians crossing the intersection? And, in particular, an intersection you travel through every day?

This isn't the first time I've witnessed this. It happens more often than you'd think. And far more often than it should (given that it shouldn't happen at all).

Then again, the Passenger Charter doesn't specifically promise that drivers won't run down pedestrians. And the Passenger Charter is all about passenger safety, right?

2 comments:

RonNasty said...

If I have the time, I try to make eye contact with a driver before I cross the road.

C.J. Smith said...

Good advice. Pedestrians have to be aware that sadly, drivers aren't paying attention to them.